Devforums will be moving soon...to my own LAMP server! Vote_l10100%Devforums will be moving soon...to my own LAMP server! Vote_r10 100% [ 2 ]
Devforums will be moving soon...to my own LAMP server! Vote_l100%Devforums will be moving soon...to my own LAMP server! Vote_r10 0% [ 0 ]
Devforums will be moving soon...to my own LAMP server! Vote_l100%Devforums will be moving soon...to my own LAMP server! Vote_r10 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : [ 2 ]
Page 1 of 1

Bilde

Bilde
Hosted where?
Please don't say it's your ten year old HP Linux box in your office. Tongue out

Ryan

Ryan
Administrator
Bilde wrote:Hosted where?
Please don't say it's your ten year old HP Linux box in your office. Tongue out
Ew. It'd be on my recently bought 'netbook' with 'fedora'! (it's not a crappy 'netbook', either, I've upgraded the ram and made some tweaks.)

I'm half way through installing mysql, apache and php. They don't seem to be unpacking though. I've gotten the most recent builds, recommended also.
If I don't seem to do well in making the LAMP server, I'll have to host it (when I get enough money) recommended by dion:

http://www.justhost.com/

Oh, bilde<3. Office, psh. I need a proper job first, lol. If I'm too lazy, (or all else fails) I'll keep with forumotion's cack hosting, (for now).

Bilde

Bilde
Okay, it's probably a decent computer/server if you plan to use it for nothing else but the site. Also, I'd prefer to use Debian, but it's just a matter of what you personally prefer.

Installing the server is the least of your concerns, unless Fedora's package system is seriously messed up. The biggest concern will probably be to configure your iptables (firewall) and port forward, for which you'll have to convince your parents to let you (unless you have tech-illiterate parents/your own internet connection).

office -> your dusty(?) room

Ryan

Ryan
Administrator
Bilde wrote:Okay, it's probably a decent computer/server if you plan to use it for nothing else but the site. Also, I'd prefer to use Debian, but it's just a matter of what you personally prefer.

Installing the server is the least of your concerns, unless Fedora's package system is seriously messed up. The biggest concern will probably be to configure your iptables (firewall) and port forward, for which you'll have to convince your parents to let you (unless you have tech-illiterate parents/your own internet connection).

office -> your dusty(?) room
I'll have a look at debian some time later. Fedora for me at the moment has been pretty good, it's simple, yet compact. A few problems have been with apache, php, and mysql, they seem to error when I try to unpack the source code, which is bizarre to say the least.

I pay half to the internet and have full access over it. I wouldn't say technology illiterate, more technology inept. By parents, you refer to my mother, she's very good at literacy. If she was as lazy as me, she would be potentially better at technology.

Bilde

Bilde
Okay, sounds cool. Looking forward to it!

Also....are you compiling the server stack from source?

Ryan

Ryan
Administrator
Bilde wrote:Okay, sounds cool. Looking forward to it!

Also....are you compiling the server stack from source?
That may be the problem...I'll have a look at it later, too lazy right now. Tongue out

I assume you're a busy bee mr bilde. Wink

Bilde

Bilde
You should probably install all the packages using yum, that's simpler.

Sponsored content

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2010 - 2012 Devforums. Some rights reserved!