Desqeh

Desqeh
Developer
1)Question is
Bubble_Laq wrote:
Isn't v3 much more difficult than previous versions?

The answer to that is, no. In fact in many instances it's much easier than previous versions as you don't have to try and force the language to do something it was never designed to do. It also uses a familiar BASIC-like language, and BASIC is known for being...well...basic.
he vast majority of old AutoIt scripts were focused around software installation and clicking "Next" a lot in dialog boxes. Most of these scripts can be converted to v3 simply by adding a couple of brackets here and there. Here is an example of such a script in v2 and v3 (simulating a software installation with a few dialogs that have a Next button and a Finish button)

Code:
WinWaitActive, Welcome, Welcome to the XSoft installation
Send, !n
WinWaitActive, Choose Destination, Please choose the
Send, !n
WinWaitActive, Ready to install, Click Next to install
Send, !n
WinWaitActive, Installation Complete, Click Finish to exit
Send, !f
WinWaitClose, Installation Complete

; v3 Script
WinWaitActive("Welcome", "Welcome to the XSoft installation")
Send("!n")
WinWaitActive("Choose Destination", "Please choose the")
Send("!n")
WinWaitActive("Ready to install", "Click Next to install")
Send("!n")
WinWaitActive("Installation Complete", "Click Finish to exit")
Send("!f")
WinWaitClose("Installation Complete")
Now, that wasn't so bad! As all "strings" are enclosed in quotes you no longer have to wrestle with problems caused by leading and trailing spaces in text. There is also fantastic support for many text editors so that when you are writing v3 scripts you can have syntax highlighting which makes everything much easier.

2)Question:
Not the KKK wrote:
What are the current technical limits of AutoIt v3?

My Answer:
Here are details of the current technical limits of AutoIt. Please note that some of the limits are theoretical and you may run into performance or memory related problems before you reach the actual limit.

Maximum length of a single script line: 4,095
Maximum string length: 2,147,483,647 characters

Number range (floating point): 1.7E–308 to 1.7E+308 with 15-digit precision
Number range (integers): 64-bit signed integer
Hexadecimal numbers: 32-bit signed integer (0x80000000 to 0x7FFFFFFF)

Arrays: A maximum of 64 dimensions and/or a total of 16 million elements
Maximum depth of recursive function calls: 5100 levels

Maximum number of variables in use at one time: No limit
Maximum number of user defined functions: No limit

Maximum number of GUI windows: No limit
Maximum number of GUI controls: 65532
Hoped that helped.

3)I've been getting some question on AutoIt. I will answer some, some I won't. It kinda depends. I need to know what your talking about.

Question:
iTaco wrote:
Why can I only use Run() to execute .exe files? What about .msi / .txt and others?

My answer:
Good question, Taco. Only a few file extensions are usually "runable" - these are .exe, .bat, .com, .pif. Other file types like .txt and .msi are actually executed with another program. When you double click on a "myfile.msi" file what actually happens in the background is that "msiexec.exe myfile.msi" is executed. So to run a .msi file from AutoIt you would do:
Code:
  RunWait("msiexec myfile.msi")
Or, run the command "start" which will automatically work out how to execute the file for you:
Code:

RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c Start myfile.msi")
Or, use the ShellExecuteWait function which will automatically work out how to execute the file for you:
Code:
ShellExecuteWait("myfile.msi")